Making investments is the best way to secure a future which is very common in every family, investments are found in fixed deposits or post offices. Such investments are really useful for ensuring the future and it will be useful for their future generations.
If the chief person or the head of the family disappears suddenly, family members next to this person should obtain a legal heir certificate to transfer the assets of the deceased person to the next official heirs.
This must be done soon after obtaining the death certificate from the municipality Corporation. To obtain the legal heir certificate, the person concerned must apply to the appropriate government office. Obtaining this certificate is very important because it is the main document required to claim the right on the contributions and assets of the deceased. This law has created the rights of claiming securities or assets or property of the person who dies the intestate.
Eligibility Criteria to Register as a Legal Heir
- Spouse of the deceased person
- Son/daughter or children of the deceased person
- Parents of the deceased person (mother/father)
- Sibling of the deceased person
The documents that are required to be registered as a legal heir are as follows:
- A court fee of 1.25 /-
- Passport Size photo
- Letter from the Govt. Department of the deceased employee to obtain Legal Heir Certificate from DC office
- Identity Proof of Applicant
- Residence proofs of all Legal Heir
- Date of Birth proofs of all Legal Heir
- Death Certificate of the deceased employee in original
- Death Certificate of the deceased direct legal heir in original(if required)
- Residence Certificate of the deceased
What is the use of the Legal Heir Certificate?
After the sudden death of a person, his family is entitled to his properties or any other asset mentioned in the name of the deceased. But for demanding these assets, the legal heir must show the respective certificate as evidence. Government officials will issue the certificate based on certain general conditions. All eligible successors should have this certificate. It can be used to claim many assets, such as:
- Transfer all rights from the deceased person’s properties
- Claim the insurance of the deceased person
- Sanction and process the family pension of the deceased employee
- To obtain the salary arrears of the government employee
- To obtain the Provident Fund (PF), the bonus of the company
- Get a job based on compassionate appointments
How to Apply for Legal Heir Certificate Online – e-Sevai Services for Citizens (Especially for Tamil Nadu Citizens)
- Go to the official website of the Tamil Nadu e-Sevai portal, click here to open the e-Sevai portal of Tamil Nadu.
2. After you have opened the official web portal of e-Sevai the next step would be to login into the website. In case you don’t have an account you can sign up. You would need to enter various information like your full name, district, taluk, mobile number, email ID, Aadhaar Number, and then create your login ID and password.
3. After you have signed up the next step would be to login to the website using your login ID and password that you have created.
- After you have logged in you would need to follow the instructions and fill in the details in the online application form.
- After you have entered all your details correctly, your application will be processed by the concerned department as per the procedure and the person applying will be provided with the legal heir certificate.
- Generally, the whole process to obtain a legal heir certificate would take around 30 days, and if in any case, you face unnecessary delay in obtaining the certificate or if the concerned officials fail to respond, then you can approach the Revenue Division Officer (RDO)/sub-collector for further proceedings.
How to Apply for a Legal Heir Certificate in India?
- Applicants from other states can also apply for a legal heir certificate online. To apply for a legal heir certificate online. They need to go to the official website of the Indian Government. Click here to visit the official website of the Indian Government.
- After you have visited the website, you can download the form for the legal heir and the application form will be downloaded on your screen.
- After the application form has been downloaded you are required to fill in the details and attach the required documents and submit the form to the nearby Tehsildar office.
- After you have submitted the form to your nearby Tehsildar, after the verification procedure is done by authorized officers, the legal heir certificate will be issued to the applicant within 30 days.
How to Apply for a Legal Heir Certificate Offline in India?
The person who wants to be declared as a legal heir and wants to claim the property and assets of the deceased person needs to apply for a legal heir certificate from the nearby Tehsil office. We have listed the steps below to know how you can apply for a legal heir certificate offline in India.
- The candidate has to visit the nearby Tehsildar or Taluk office and get the application form from the office.
- Fill in the relevant details asked in the application form.
- While filling the application form make sure to fill in all the details accurately and correctly. In case any discrepancies are found, then the application form may be rejected.
- Attach the duly signed copy of the necessary documents along with the application form.
- The candidate has to affix an Rs. 2 stamp with the application form.
- After all, this has been done you need to submit the application form to the respective Tehsildar officer.
- After you have submitted the application form to the Tehsildar officer, the application has to be verified by the Administrative Officer and Revenue Inspector.
- The legal heir certificate then will be dispatched to your address within 30 days. In case you don’t receive the certificate within 30 days, then the applicant needs to approach the sub-collector or Revenue Division Office to get it.